Literacy Day with Jan Richardson: The Next Step Forward in Reading Intervention
March 12, 2019 @ 8:45 am - 3:00 pm$109
Next Step Forward in Guided Reading
Guided Reading is a key component of a comprehensive, balanced literacy program that allows teachers to flexibly group students to meet their individual needs. This workshop focuses on choosing texts that match focus strategy, scaffolding students to independently monitor and problem-solve words, extending vocabulary and exploring deeper comprehension. After reading, the teacher leads students in rich discussions that lifts student processing. Learn how to powerful guided reading lessons can accelerate all students on their journey to becoming engaged and proficient readers.
- Learn how to use assessments to pinpoint an instructional focus.
- Select engaging, hands-on word study activities that are based on assessments and linked to the guided reading text.
- Make your guided reading lesson more powerful by choosing appropriate texts that matches their readers and focus strategy.
- Learn progressive steps for teaching comprehension that strengthens each reader’s ability to construct meaning.
- Analyze struggling readers to identify appropriate strategies to teach during small group lessons that will accelerate individual comprehensive literacy plans.
Keynote Speaker: Jan Richardson
Jan Richardson, Ph.D., is a former teacher, reading specialist, and Reading Recovery® teacher leader. Her best-selling Next Step Collection includes The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading; The Guided Reading Teacher’s Companion: Prompts and Discussion Starters; Next Step Guided Reading Assessment, and her newest book, Next Step Forward in Reading Intervention (Scholastic, 2018), which describes a powerful, short-term intervention that quickly accelerates striving readers. Jan also worked with Michele Dufresne from Pioneer Valley Books to develop Literacy Footprints: A Complete System for Supporting Guided Reading, which has lesson cards that follow Jan’s Next Step framework. With electrifying wit and wisdom, Jan leaves audiences, informed, motivated, and inspired.