Building Healthy Communities works to create supportive school environments through healthy eating and physical activity.
We have three programs: The Step Up for School Wellness Program, the Elementary School Program and the Middle School Program. Read more about these programs in our program fact sheet.
- Educate students through classroom lessons
- Create an environment that makes the healthy choice the easy choice
- Encourage students to practice lessons learned in the classroom
- Provide opportunities for physical activity
- Improve access to healthy food and beverages
Building Healthy Communities has an extensive history of measurable and demonstrated impact on improving the health of Michigan’s children, including:
- A significant reduction in obesity
- 40 percent more fruit and vegetables consumed than the national average
- 700 step increase per day
- 35 additional minutes per week of moderate to vigorous physical activity
- 19 minutes less of screen and video time per day
- 74 percent report that it was easier to pay attention in class
Any public, charter or private nonprofit school in Michigan is eligible regardless of their:
- Free and reduced-price school meal percentage
- Geographic location
- Participation in other school wellness grants, programs or initiatives
Please review each program description for other eligibility information at Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan’s Website!